People of Action:
Our Mission: To support our local community and international needs through service and fellowship.
The Strathroy Rotary Club was chartered in 1989 and was the first Rotary club in Canada to be chartered with both men and women. Our club is a proud part of this community and of Rotary International. Rotary is a global network of more than 1.2 million members who believe that great things happen when dedicated minds come together. We are community and business leaders representing different professions, experiences, and perspectives but with a shared desire to connect with others to address the challenges affecting our community and communities around the world.
Our club brings together people lik you - from all walks of life, who want to use their expertise for good. People whose sense of responsibility inspires them to give back to the community. Through meetings, social events, and volunteer projects, our members learn about the issues facing our community and communities all over the world. we partner with experts in both local and international levels to exchange ideas about potential solutions and action plans to respond.
Along with these opportunities to serve, members also are able to regularly network, resulting in lifelong friendships and business connections.
Making a Difference
Solving real problems takes real effort, commitment, and vision. Rotarinas work to protect communities from preventable disease, keep women and children healthy, improve education and economic outcomes, create safe water and sanitation infrastructure, and make our community and the world a more peaceful place.
Oh God, giver of all good, we thank you for our daily bread.
May Rotary friends, and Rotary ways, help to serve you all our days.
Some of the Rotary facts:
- Rotary is an international humanitarian organization. The men and women of Rotary are business and professional leaders who volunteer their time and resources to help others in their local communities and throughout the world.
- Rotary International (RI) is headquartered in Evanston Illinois
- The Rotary motto is "Service above Self"
- Rotary was started by Paul Harris on February 26, 1905 in Chicago.
- Rotary is the world's first service club.
- The district Governor is automatically a part of the RI, and is nominated 2 years in advance, so he/she can organize life so they can devote a lot of time to being the Distric Governor.
OUR STRATHROY CLUB:
- Our club was chartered on Feb 4, 1989.
- Our club was the first one in Canada (and the second in North America) to have been chartered with both men and women. Our club held back from chartering until rules were changed to allow women.
- Our district straddles both Canada and Michigan.
- Our meetings are every Tuesday at noon to 1 pm, usually at The Duke on Sydenham which is located in the Kenwick mall at the intersection of Front St E and Head St N.
- Rotarians meet weekly for fellowship and for interesting and informative programs dealing with topics of local and global importance.
- How much it costs to be a member:
- Our annual dues are $210 a year
- Lunch is $18 per time,
- Once a month at least the Fines Master collects fines for various misdemeanours and/or happy events
- Strathroy Club Projects:
- Junior Achievement Program
- Adopt a Highway
- Leaders for Tomorrow Seminar
- Elementary School VIP Program
- SAME Project
- Strathroy Splash Pad
- Blood Donor Clinic
- Adopt A Highway
- Little Free Library
- Riff Valley Water
- Guatemalan School
- Salvation army
- Women Rural Resource Centre
- India Eye Hospital
- Nicaragua Waste Water Project
- Rotary Memorial Trail - The Memorial Trail connects the Conservation Authority's trail system on the north and south end of Strathroy, creating a town-wide public trail system.
- Rotary International Youth Exchange - + additional local scholarships
- International Disaster Relief
- Polio Plus
- International Disaster Relief
- Middleburg Orphanage (South Africa)
- We support:
- SMGH Paliative Care Suite - a dedicated suite for palliative patients and their families
- Strathroy Middlesex General Hospital
- VON HOMME Program
- VON Palliative Care Volunteer Program
- Women's Rural Resource Centre
- Strathroy Music Council
- Senior Centre
- Elementary & Secondary School Awards
- Strathroy Minor Hockey - Girl Tournament
- MacKinlay Paul Park Fountain
- International Service
- The Rotary Foundation
- Student Exchange
- Polio Plus
- Group Study Exchange
- Guyana/Trinidad Vision Project
- Honduras Relieve
- Club Service
- Weekly Meetings
- Local Business & Plant Tours
- Program Speakers/Presentations
- Fundraising Events
- Annual Golf Tournament
- Poinsettia Sales
- Rural Urban Banquet